Are you planning to buy a gaming console for its streaming capabilities? Today’s video games consoles don’t just play games.
Now, game consoles can play music, let you watch live TV, and stream online content. Conservatives might argue that these additional features have taken the fun out of a pure gaming console. But gaming consoles are now a better investment.
Let’s find out which is the best console for streaming online content between Xbox One and PS4.
- 1 Video Streaming Comparison Between the Xbox One and PS4
- 2 What You Need
- 3 Streaming Disney Plus
- 4 Streaming Netflix
- 5 Other Streaming Apps
Video Streaming Comparison Between the Xbox One and PS4
Media streaming is what most people are looking at to decide whether to buy a PlayStation 4 or an Xbox One. It’s an impossible task to go through all streaming apps for both consoles. But we will compare the most popular streaming platforms to know which console comes on top.
What You Need
You will need an Xbox One or PS4 console and a high-speed internet connection. For HD streaming, you will need 5Mbps, while for 4K, you will need at least 25Mbps.
Streaming Disney Plus
You don’t have to purchase any extra streaming equipment because you can get Disney Plus on PS4. Disney Plus is available on PlayStation 4, including the regular PS4 and PS4 Slim.
How to Watch Disney Plus on the PS4
- Go to the PlayStation Store, search and download the Disney Plus app
- Launch the app
- Sign in with the email and password you used while subscribing
- After successfully logging in, start streaming your favorite content.
Using Disney Plus on Xbox One is easy because it’s one of the streaming apps supported on the Xbox One lineup.
The regular Xbox One does not support 4K streaming, so you will need either the Xbox One S, One X, Series X, or the Series S.
How to Watch Disney Plus on Xbox One
- The Disney Plus app is available on the Microsoft Store on the Xbox console.
- Press the home button on your controller to access the Microsoft Store.
- Go to the app’s sections and search for Disney Plus.
- Select and install Disney Plus.
- Sign in with your subscription details and start streaming.
Verdict: The PS4 and the Xbox One offer the same capability and functionality when streaming Disney Plus. The regular versions of the two consoles cannot stream 4K content, but the other versions can. So, the two consoles are similar when streaming Disney+.
Using Netflix on a PS4 gaming console requires a quick download of the Netflix application from the PlayStation Store.
Go to the TV and Video folder on your home screen to access the app. Sign in to your account and select your profile.
Using the Netflix app on a PS4 is straightforward. Press Triangle to search and use the directional buttons to go through the content.
Like the PlayStation 4, you will need to install the app on your Xbox One. Head over to the Store and scroll down to the Browse Apps section.
Locate Netflix, install the app, and then launch it from your Xbox One home screen.
Sign in with your Netflix credentials, and you will gain access to everything this streaming platform offers.
Verdict: The interfaces and usability are almost similar between the Xbox One and PS4, so there is no clear winner.
Other Streaming Apps
The PlayStation 4 supports other streaming apps. The apps are available on the TV and Video folder, select non-gaming media apps and scroll down to all services; they include:
- Amazon Video–Prime Video is an excellent option for streaming movies and TV shows. It is a worthy alternative to Netflix and Disney Plus.
- Crackle–a free streaming service with handpicked movies and TV series.
- Crunchyroll–has lots of free anime content but has ads.
- NHL–a sports streaming app dedicated to hockey games. This app requires an NHL.TV subscription.
- Hulu–offers old and new movies and TV shows. Some of the content on Hulu supports PlayStation VR for a fantastic viewing experience.
There are many other apps supported by the PS4. They include HBO GO, Plex, PlayStation Vue, Twitch, PlayStation Vue, YouTube, Plex, Tubi TV, CBS All Access, and many more. Any streaming app you can subscribe to is available on PS4.
On your Xbox One console, scroll down to the store tab until you come across the Browse apps section. Select All Apps, and you will find a massive list of supported apps. Go to Top Entertainment Apps and click show all. The Xbox One supports all the apps supported by the PS4, but the major highlights include:
- Movies and TV–a Microsoft app for casting video content from your PC to Xbox.
- Starz–a streaming app that allows subscribers to watch Starz content.
- VLC–an app for playing local media content or streaming media over your home network.
Xbox has additional apps that are not available on the PS4, like AOL Video and Dailymotion.
Final Verdict: As you can see, the common streaming apps are supported on both platforms. So, there’s very little to differentiate between the Xbox One and the PS4 in streaming online content.